Congratulations again on your selection in the Australian Cal Ripken World Series team. Any paperwork or information requested must be returned promptly. We are on very tight timelines and have to allow for transmitting information overseas. Please familiarise yourself with these arrangements, they have been formulated to ensure you enjoy the experience to the max!!!
Paperwork you should either bring or in some cases returned include:
· Your passport
· Copy of your parent’s Medicare card
· Copy of the inside page of your passport
· Your medical release form
· This playbook
Instructions and rules set by the Babe Ruth league are very specific, particularly when it comes to dress standards, behaviour etc. Follow them!!
The weather in
summer and temperatures are in the high to mid 30 degrees Celsius so pack accordingly. Don’t forget your swimmers. Whilst in may be cold in
do not over pack as you will then have to carry these items overseas where you will not need them. Your team track suit should be sufficient for the camp. All clothing (including hats) should be marked on the inside waistband or collar with you name on it. I will have a marking pen for new gear you will receive in camp. You should also bring a washable laundry bag for your socks and jocks as I will be washing in
TRAVELLING ON THE PLANE
When you arrive in
We will also be wearing this on the flight to
Some of you may be seasoned travellers, others may not. Nevertheless, the following advice is provided:-
- When flying, take your wallet out of your hip pocket (a major cause of back complaints.)
- Use an airline pillow for lower back support
- Get out of the seat and stretch regularly
- Dress comfortable. Eg take your shoes off
FOOD AND WATER
- Don’t travel hungry
- Eat lightly in flight
- Avoid fats
- Drink plenty of water. Fizzy drinks result in gas and ups and downs of air travel have strange effects on bowel gas!!!
This really does exist and result sin physiological changes such as adrenaline levels, body temperatures, bowel movements, reaction times and altered sleep patterns. Whilst travelling, get as much rest as you can. If someone besides you is sleeping, respect their rest time, but don’t allow them to miss a meal.
ARRANGEMENTS OVERSEAS INCLUDING HOST FAMILIES
Host families are appointed by the Babe Ruth League. Six families will host two players, one will host three while staff are located in the World Series Hotel. These pairings are not negotiable! Many of the host families in
All monies will be handled by myself, unless your parents are making the
trip and you wish them to finance you. A record will be kept of disbursements and allocated on a needs basis. With staying in host families, costs are minimal as they will provide you with three meals per day. On my experience I would not envisage anyone needing more than $400 US. All meal, transportation and accommodation costs are covered in
You will be supplied with a small gift to give away at the start of each game. Aussie items are popular so small items such as koala bears, Aussie pins and key rings, etc are a good investment. You may also be asked for your autograph as well general questions on
RINGING HOME AND TIME DIFFERENCE
The team will supply helmets, balls bats and some catching gear. Items such as batting gloves, fielders gloves and catchers gear (if applicable) is your responsibility.
If you want any special photos taken do be afraid to ask Keith for help.
therefore keep things like ticket butts, airline boarding cards etc.
for your collection.
Do not forget your grey training pants for
for the Series.
- Respect each other, the game, the experience.
- Always hustle on the diamond.
- Be courteous, polite and respectful
- Be proud to be Australian
- Do not talk while staff are talking
- Be punctual
- Listen to all instructions while travelling
- If in doubt, ask – we do not know all the answers but we do know where to go to get them.
- Make sure you have read this book, everything in it is for your benefit.
Enjoy the experience and honour of representing your country, there is nothing else in the world like it!